First, I'd like to say that my form and I don't share the same bust size, and I did not pull out the strapless for the photo. To tired. I'm pretty much finished with the front piece. At the bust line there are 3 pleats that are stitched closed until the high waist line. My plan is to edge stitch the pleats so they hold a crisp line, but still add a little movement. You can see my pins still holding them in place.
I added non-symmetric horizontal and vertical bust darts. They aren't symmetric because of the diagonal pleats at the bustline but they work.
This is the lower front portion of the dress.
So my goal with this fabric was to attempt to distort the lines with pleats and darts. I've mostly achieved that in the front, but the back panel...with the curves and all...I have more work to do, as I don't want 2 stereotypical back darts. My idea of diagonal darts, does pose an interesting situation of bias-ness that's not usually encountered.
I started this project wanting a jumpstart back into sewing, and it's done the trick! For those of you wondering. I've used no books for the drape/draft of this project. That may be very obvi to some! Just an idea and my experience. It's an unknown adventure, without a pretty picture to guide me, I'm making it work as I go!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad